Sunday, January 31, 2016

Michael C. Hall - Death and David Bowie













Michael C. Hall - Death and David Bowie
by Live Music Head


“Look up here, I'm in heaven
I've got scars that can't be seen
I've got drama, can't be stolen
Everybody knows me now
Look up here, man, I'm in danger
I've got nothing left to lose
I'm so high, it makes my brain whirl
Dropped my cell phone down below
Ain't that just like me?
By the time I got to New York
I was living like a king
Then I used up all my money
I was looking for your ass
This way or no way
You know, I'll be free
Just like that bluebird
Now, ain't that just like me?
Oh, I'll be free
Just like that bluebird
Oh, I'll be free
Ain't that just like me?”
~ Lazarus 
words and music by David Bowie



I first got to know Michael C. Hall as David Fisher,
mortician and co-owner of a family-run funeral parlour
on the award-winning,
critically-acclaimed HBO series,
Six Feet Under;
a television drama that focused on human mortality
and the lives of those who dealt with it on a daily basis,
running for five seasons between 2000 and 2005.
Man, was I obsessed with that show when it originally aired.
And the series finale was one of the best I had ever seen.
Incredible writing.
Incredible acting.
Incredible story telling.
Then I thought I was getting to know him again in Nip/Tuck,
the television drama that often felt
more like a comedy than a drama
about the outrageous lifestyles of two plastic surgeons
who had lots and lots and lots and lots,
and lots and lots and lots and lots
of sex.
And started the conversation with their patients with...
"So, tell me what you don't like about yourself."
That series ran for six seasons between 2003 and 2010.
But,
as it turns out,
I confused Michael C. Hall with Dylan Walsh,
the one who played Dr. McNamara.
Ha!
Well, they do look alike,
at least they did for me at the time.
But then came Dexter,
Showtime’s 4-times Emmy Award-winning,
and 7-times Golden Globe Award-winning crime drama
starring Michael C. Hall
as a Miami Police Dept blood spatter analyst
who leads a secret life as a serial killer.
Jimmy Kimmel:
“The most beloved serial-killer-killings serial killer
in the history of television.”
But for some strange reason,
I couldn’t at first get into this record-breaking,
critically-acclaimed television drama
that ran for eight seasons.
I didn’t give it more than a ten minute’s chance.
Well,
until the series was over.  
Dexter ran from 2006 to 2013.
Then I started binge-watching it on Netflix,
becoming completely and utterly obsessed with it as well,
in just a few episodes.
Totally!
I mean, what’s not to love about a man
who knows how to take out the trash?
But the best part about it for me was really Debra,
Dexter’s potty-mouthed-police detective-foster sister,
played by Jennifer Carpenter.
Oh, how I loved that she could insert the word fuck
only about a hundred times in one sentence!
Like Six Feet Under, Dexter is incredible.
Incredible writing.
Incredible acting.
Incredible story telling.
George Stroumboulopolous:
“Spending so many years between that [Dexter]
and Six Feet Under,
in that world,
do you have a different understanding of humanity
because you had to live in another head space?”
Michael C. Hall: “I definitely haven’t, uh, avoided.
I think Dexter and Six Feet Under,
like any show or movie that deals in life and death,
appeals to the most fundamental common denominator
that we have.
We’re all gonna die.
Obviously looking at that from a different point of view,
in as much as it’s encouraged me to focus and re-focus
and consider that fact,
it’s probably,
arguably,
fostered some sort of spiritual side
to my consideration of,
not just what I’m doing as an actor,
but what it is to be a human being;
that we all have that in common.
I think the fact that our time here is finite
is a big part of what gives life meaning.”

Michael C. Hall in conversation with Strombo...


Last December,
I became quite aware of Michael C. Hall yet again
as he was cast in Lazarus,
an off-Broadway musical production in New York
with music and lyrics composed by David Bowie;
a sequel to the Walter Tevis sci-fi novel 
The Man Who Fell To Earth
which was adapted to film in 1976,
with Bowie himself starring as Thomas Jerome Newton.
Newton, a humanoid alien
comes to Earth from a distant planet
on a mission to take water back to his home,
which is experiencing a catastrophic drought.
In Lazarus,
Michael C. Hall plays Thomas Jerome Newton.
Previews for the stage musical began at
the New York Theatre Workshop
on November 18, 2015
with performances running up to January 19, 2016.
It was during this period that Michael C. Hall,
in promotion of the play,
made an appearance on
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert,
performing Lazarus, the song.
Then,
I became aware that Michael C. Hall could sing!

Michael C. Hall performing David Bowie's Lazarus
on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert...


In the 1976 film, 
Bowie portrays Newton as an alien stranded on earth,
clinging to hope of some kind of immortal life in space.
According to Michael Paulson in the New York Times,
Hall depicts Newton decades later,
"drinking gin,
watching television,
isolated in his apartment,
talking to characters in his head,
and declaring:
'I'm a dying man who can't die.'"
Sadly, suddenly and shockingly,
the singer/songwriter who wrote Lazarus,
the great one we all know as a true artist 
in every way, shape and form, 
David Bowie
died during this same time,
on January 10, 2016.
Dead, only nine days before the end of his play’s run.
Dead, only two days after his 69th birthday.
Dead, only two days after the release of Blackstar,
his latest album.
But,
as any and all Bowie fans know,
he left behind a mind-blowing body of work.
Micheal C. Hall: “It's really one of the most
special and humbling experiences I've had as an actor,
to play that role and to take part in telling that story
and helping to create something that was
in the final chapter of Bowie's artistic output.
It was really incredible."
Wikipedia cites Bowie's producer, 
Tony Visconti as saying that
the lyrics and video of Lazarus
and other songs on Blackstar
were intended as a self-epitah,
a commentary on Bowie's impending death.
With the opening line
“Look up here, I’m in Heaven”,
most fans would likely agree.
Bowie’s own incredible video for the song,
a parting gift...

David Bowie's video of Lazarus...




The official website for David Bowie...

Lazarus at The New York Theatre Workshop...