Monday, March 21, 2016

The Lefsetz Letter





I’ve been on the Lefsetz email list for so long now,
I don’t read ‘em all.
The music industry insider can be a bit cranky
in his highly-opinionated-ness.
And a bit of a bastard.
Not that I have anything particular against cranky,
highly-opinionated music industry insider bastards.
Is there any other kind?
But hey, this one’s quite smart,
the first in music analysis,
'cuz he knows what he’s talking about.
Of course he does.
Bob nails it more often than not,
like it or not.
So this, his latest writing,
(following attendance at last Thursday night’s show
that Bruce Springsteen did at the
Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena,
aka the Dump that Jumps,
as a goodbye to the historic venue
which has a date with the wrecking ball),
I not only opened, but I had to.
And I read it with absolute glee!
I Wanna Marry You!
Ya nailed it again Bob.
Nailed the hell out of it, thank you.
Thank you very much!
Bob Lefsetz: “But once upon a time we were the youth,
we were the cutting edge,
there were no social networks,
cell phones were a ‘Star Trek’ fantasy,
we had to leave the house to connect, to feel alive,
and where I felt the most comfortable was at the show...
And on Thursday night I felt I was part of a vast continuum,
of misfits who’d lived for the music each and every day.
Who knew all the players, the producers and the engineers,
who needed to get closer,
who considered the venue their church
and those on its pulpit their priests.”
Ohhhhh yea, don’t I know it!



Springsteen at the Sports Arena by Bob Lefsetz
Read it in its entirety...