Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Robert Plant and Garfield too, I love you!



Robert Plant and Garfield too, 
I love you!
by Live Music Head















Robert Plant,
the British singer-songwriter and Led Zeppelin rocker
was born on this day,
the twentieth of August,
in West Bromwich, England, 1948.
This prompts me to go back to the mid-seventies,
at the height of the Zep’s success
and remember when I became an enormous fan,
and fell completely and madly in love
with the lead singer.
Back to the times
I played their records over and over again,
and fantasized about squeezing his lemon.
But it wasn’t until 1980,
at the tender age of 17,
that I became
a full-blown sex-obsessed rock and roll chick
who could finally go and see them live!
I was working at Fotomat,
my first ever job,
located in the parking lot of Park Royal Plaza
in Clarkson,
also known as Mississauga,
a suburb of Toronto, Ontario,
when I heard on the hut radio
that the band announced a tour.
Wha-hoo!
Plans for a road trip to see them in Buffalo
were made immediately
and my excitement was beyond belief.
But then the news hit that John Bonham,
the band’s drummer
had suddenly died,
and that was the end of that.
I would never see Led Zeppelin.
Imagine my disappointment.
Fast forward a few more years
to 1983
when Robert Plant announced a solo tour
following the release of his record,
Pictures at Eleven,
and my excitement came back!

Robert Plant and Paul Martinez Sept 10, 1983 
Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto

It was at Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens
on September 10 that year
that I arrived dressed in black spandex pants,
a la Pat Benatar,
with little black boots,
a la The Beatles
and a forest-green top that slid off one shoulder,
a la Jennifer Beals in Flashdance,
and a thick black leather belt
that wrapped around my waist twice.
(The kind of belt that, as it turned out,
kinda sorta looked like
the one Robert Plant wore at the show).
I was with my then-boyfriend,
who in retrospect
was a pretty good guy,
considering how I ignored him most of the time,
completely obsessed was I
with the golden god of cock rock.

Robert Plant Sept 10, 1983 
Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto

We had floor seats
which made it easier
to sneak closer and closer to the stage.
But I really don't recall how,
by show time,
we found ourselves standing on seats
in the front row!
I guess there was no stopping a
full-blown sex-obsessed rock and roll chick of 17.
And this is where my best memory unfolds.
Before the show,
as I was rushing out of the house,
I had spontaneously decided
I wanted to throw something on the stage.
When I ran back to my teenage bedroom
to see what I could find,
I ended up grabbing Garfield,
the stuffed version of the ever-popular
fat and lazy, cynical orange and black comic-strip cat
who’d been sitting there staring at me
from the coziness of my bed pillows.
Cheesy thing to bring to a rock show, I know.
But bring it, I did.
For the first few songs,
I waved Garfield over my head
from hand to hand
wondering if I’d ever find the guts to throw it.
What if I hit Robert in the head?
I couldn’t bear the thought.
A few more songs went by
and I still hadn’t let it fly,
but my imagination ran wild
for Robert seemed to be looking in my direction a lot,
like he too was wondering if I was going to throw it.
When I finally did let go,
I don’t think I even meant to,
but there was Robert
not only alert to Garfield’s pending arrival in his workplace,
but he had his arms outstretched to catch him,
mid-air!
Garfield never hit the ground!
Plant then took Garfield and propped him atop
Phil Collins' xylophone,
(yes, THAT Phil Collins
was in Plant’s touring band at the time)
where it sat for the duration of the show.
I was ecstatic!
Sometime during the night,
Dimo Safari,
rock photographer of the day,
snapped a photo of Plant and Collins,
with my Garfield,
which appeared in the Rock Star Calendar,
put out by Toronto radio station CHUM-FM.
Oh, how I wish I still had that calendar.
But it was destroyed in a basement flood.
I can’t even remember what month got the photo.
Anyways...

Robert Plant - Joe Louis Arena, Detroit, Michigan Sept 3, 1983


















That same week we road-tripped to see Robert Plant
at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, Michigan
where another great memory unfolded.
I shit you not,
Robert Plant mouthed the words “I love you”
directly to me from the stage.
I reacted by falling off the front row seat
I’d been standing on.
Not only could Robert Plant tell when a stuffed cat
was about to fly toward him,
and catch it mid-air,
but he could see little girly faces in a crowd of many,
and read lips that silently said “I love you”
over and over again;
lips unconvinced he could even see them
with stage lights that must surely be blinding him.
Wrong.

Robert Plant - Joe Louis Arena, Detroit  Sept 3, 1983






















When Robert told me he loved me back,
I not only fell off the chair,
I died,
and went straight to Heaven.
How did we end up in the front row at this show?
Why, courtesy of security guy that's how.
After fluttering my eyelashes repeatedly
at him,
the only one who stood between me and my love,
security guy let us pass from our seats in the stands
down to the floor.
But there was no time for
sneaking up to the stage at this show.
The flirting had taken so long
that the house lights had gone down,
and the show was about to begin.
Wha-hoo!
We bee-lined it.



All photos from the scrapbook of Live Music Head.