Sunday, November 22, 2009

Little Steven, Springsteen and Tom Wilson

Little Steven, Springsteen and Tom Wilson
by Live Music Head


Not born in the 40s like most of the rock and roll greats,
Little Steven Van Zant arrived on this very day
back in the year nineteen fifty.
Of course you can't think of Little Steven
without thinking of the E Street Band.
And for me, the memory that comes flooding back
is from the eighties when
one hot summer night in Toronto's CNE stadium,
I heard Mr Springsteen play No Surrender
acoustically.
The song is packed with just as much emotion,
hope, dreams, and rock and roll heart as any
in Springsteen's great body of work.
And it brings tears to my eyes every fucking time,
especially watching this clip from the very night I speak of,
acoustically...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxVu41Vsthg

And then there's Hamilton-born Tom Wilson
who certainly carries a Springsteen influence
with his own brand of powerful songwriting.
From the new record A Quiet Evil,
there's a song that's been following me around
that I can't seem to get out of my head.
I'm Going to Stay that Way is packed
with just as much emotion as No Surrender,
but the song describes the feeling of
hopes and dreams that have been crushed.
When you're so crushed you wonder
why the fuck you took a chance on love to begin with.
With a rock and roll heart torn and frayed
all over the fucking floor,
"You drove me crazy
and I'm gonna stay that way"
brilliantly describes it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZkavAIAxJ0